1. The latest fad in fingernail fashion is furry nail coverings. *** Actually, they’re very practical—now you can pick your nose and wipe it at the same time.
2. A study at George Washington University shows that shutting down the Twitter accounts of terrorist groups has severely hurt ISIS’s ability to recruit new members. *** Even more damaging to their recruiting efforts was an announcement by a group of Middle East virgins saying they will no longer greet terrorists in the afterlife.
3. Phil Collins is re-marrying his third wife, whom he had divorced in 2008 with a $46 million settlement. *** He said the separation was painful—and he missed his ex-wife, too.
4. Public health officials say that Charlie Sheen’s HIV disclosure has prompted millions of people to do online searches about prevention and treatment of the virus. *** Previous disclosures by Mr. Sheen were equally influential in prompting many to seek information on drug sources, prostitute fees and tips for trashing a hotel room.
5. Dozens of students at the University of Michigan were diagnosed with norovirus after complaining of nausea, vomiting and general malaise. *** Like when their football team loses to Ohio State.
6. On this date in history: Feb 25, 1836 – Samuel Colt patents the first revolving barrel firearm. *** That would be the Colt 45, although I never understood why he named it after a cheap beer.
7. On this date in history: Feb 24, 1940 – Frances Langford records "When You Wish Upon a Star." *** However, she was devastated to learn that the public preferred the version performed by a singing cricket.
8. On this date in history: Feb 23, 1455 – Johannes Gutenberg begins using his newly invented printing press to print the Bible in large numbers. *** For the first time history people actually can swear on a stack of Bibles.
9. On this date in history: Feb 23, 1896 – Tootsie Rolls go on sale for the first time. *** Previously they were only available by donating a couple bucks to men standing at intersections and wearing yellow vests.
10. On this date in history: Feb 22, 1630 – Indians introduce the pilgrims to popcorn. *** I believe the novel food was prepared by Chief Orville Redenbacher.