1. Justin Bieber has just canceled his performance in the CBS “Thanksgiving Day Parade.” *** And now we have something to be thankful for.
2. According to Money magazine, K-Mart has one of the worst purchase return policies. *** After you buy something, they shut down the store.
3. The latest food craze in Japan is deep fried maple leaves. *** I wonder—are you supposed to eat them by hand or with a rake?
4. In China, Xiao Yun went missing for the past ten years and authorities thought she was dead, but she was recently found living in an internet café where she spent all her time playing video games. *** So, they were pretty much right.
5. In order to promote healthy eating, the Nordic Choice hotel chain in Norway has taken bacon and sausage off the breakfast menu. *** They’ve also put Bob Evans on the no-fly list.
6. On this date in history: 1817 – The first sword swallower in the U.S. performs in New York City. *** He was a big hit in Times Square until the public taste shifted to naked cowboys.
7. On this date in history: 1835 – The Texas Provisional Government authorizes establishment of the Texas Rangers. *** Reluctantly, they also authorize one “Lone Ranger,” but specify that he must always wear a mask.
8. On this date in history: 1863 – A patent is granted for a process of making color photographs. *** Demand for centerfold models skyrockets.
9. On this date in history: 1897 – J. L. Love patents the pencil sharpener. *** It was carefully designed to hold a pencil of any size, form an extremely sharp point, and sprinkle shavings all over the floor when you try to empty it.
10. On this date in history: 1973 – The fuel crisis causes Congress to reduce the maximum speed limit to 55 MPH. *** It also gives people an excuse to not drive to the in-laws for Thanksgiving.