1. A New York City bakery has teamed up with the Ruffino winery to make “prosecco donuts” for wine lovers. *** They’ll be sold in a new chain, Drunken Donuts.
2. The U.S. plans to put a tariff on aluminum foil from China. *** However, the White House said an exemption will be granted for the fashionable Ivanka line of microwave-resistant headwear.
3. Justin Bieber was spotted taking part in a practice round and getting advice from elite golfers at a PGA golf tournament in North Carolina this week. *** He wants to improve his swing for hitting drives, chip shots and paparazzi.
4. A man in Roseville, Michigan says a Tim Horton’s employee slammed the drive-thru window on his hand and broke his finger. *** I’ll bet that’s the last time he orders the “Wake-Up Special.”
5. Vice President Mike Pence is denying a New York Times report that he has started a “shadow campaign” to win the presidency in 2020. *** In fact, he says he hasn’t even met with the Russians yet.
6. On this date in history: Aug 11, 1972 – "Cheech & Chong Day" takes place in San Antonio, Texas. *** It would be almost a week before people could see the sun again.
7. On this date in history: Aug 10, 1975 – David Frost purchases exclusive rights to interview Nixon. *** These days it costs a bit more to interview a former politician; first you have to put up their bail money.
8. On this date in history: Aug 9, 1855 – The Battle of Acapulco takes place in Mexico. *** It was the Spring Breakers vs. the Summer Vacationers.
9. On this date in history: Aug 8, 1860 – The queen of the Sandwich Islands arrives in New York City. *** She was accompanied by her boyfriend, Jimmy John.
10. On this date in history: Aug 7, 1820 – The first potatoes are planted in Hawaii. *** After which the landowner yelled, “I said PINEAPPLES you idiot, PINEAPPLES!”