1. In Cannes, France, $136 million worth of jewels were stolen from an exhibit in a luxury hotel, and police believe the theft may have been carried out by the notorious Pink Panther gang. *** They say that several witnesses reported hearing very distinctive background music.
2. During a meeting with House Democrats, Nancy Pelosi presented President Obama with a chocolate birthday cake. *** Fortunately, Secret Service agents tackled her before she could put on a slinky Marilyn Monroe dress and sing “Happy Birthday Mr. President...”
3. Earlier this week, cats and dogs were allowed in the U.S. Capitol Building to celebrate “Adopt a Pet” day. *** It was patterned after a similar event that’s sponsored by lobbyists and called “Adopt a Senator.”
4. A military court found Private Bradley Manning guilty on 19 counts of leaking secret documents, but he was acquitted on the charge of aiding the enemy. *** Despite lengthy deliberations, the court was unable to determine exactly who the enemy is.
5. President Obama has asked Republican Senators Lindsey Graham and John McCain to travel to Egypt next week. *** However, there’s no indication whether he’ll ask them to return.
6. Two stars of “The Real Housewives of New Jersey,” Teresa and Joe Giudice, were indicted on fraud charges for exaggerating their income when applying for loans. *** You know, if they wanted the bank to think they were worth that much they should have picked a loan officer who hadn’t seen the show.
7. Senator Rand Paul is still pushing the Administration for more information on the domestic use of drones. *** For example, he’d like to have their destinations and departure times posted on Travelocity.
8. Lance Armstrong is claiming it’s the fault of the team sponsor, the U.S. Postal Service, for not knowing he was taking steroids. *** He said he sent them a full confession but it got lost in the mail.
9. There’s a new version of Monopoly called “Monopoly Empire” and it has several changes to help the game move faster, including elimination of the “Jail.” *** Players who draw a “Go To Jail” card just spend the rest of the game wearing an electronic tether.
10. During his visit to Brazil, Pope Francis said mass on Copacabana Beach, with 3 million people attending. *** You see, that’s why the timing of his visit was so important. If he came right after the annual Carnival, he would have had to face 3 million people lined up for confession.