Friday, July 8, 2016

News for Week Ending Friday, Jul 8, 2016

1.   According to a study published in the journal “Health Affairs,” the legalization of medical marijuana has led to a significant drop in prescription drug costs paid out by Medicare Part D.  ***  It’s not that marijuana is cheaper than the other drugs, but the claim forms get rejected when pot smokers fill in every line with “whatever.”

2.   In a survey taken by the Employee Benefit Research Institute, 10% of elderly retirees said they are unhappy.   ***  The other 90% couldn’t hear the question, didn’t understand it, or forgot their answer.

3.   Convicted former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has taken to Facebook to proclaim his innocence.  ***  He’s pretty sure he’ll get enough “Likes” to override the jury’s decision.

4.   Parents in the Denver area are furious after finding out that a Boy Scout campground partnered with Hooters.  ***  Yeah, but you oughta see the merit badge.

5.   Author Elizabeth Gilbert announced she is separating from the man she wrote about in her book, “Eat Pray Love,” and she asked the public to respect her privacy.  ***  She said she now plans to write a sequel, “Eat Pray Leave,” at which time her privacy may be invaded for $29.95 a copy.

6.   On this date in history:  Jul 8, 1969 – Thor Heyerdahl lands in Barbados after a 57 day voyage from Morocco on his reed raft, the “Ra II.”  ***  Or, as Carnival Cruise Lines calls it, the no-frills package.

7.   On this date in history:  Jul 7, 1948 – The Cleveland Indians sign Leroy Paige, known as “Satchel.”  *** Due to confusion over nicknames, people in the front office were disappointed when he arrived and couldn’t sing “Hello Dolly.”

8.   On this date in history:  Jul 6, 1908 – Robert Peary's expedition sails from New York City for the North Pole.  ***  He just didn’t trust the Postal Service to get his wish list to Santa.

9.   On this date in history:  Jul 5, 1643 – The first recorded tornado in the U.S. touches down in Essex County, Massachusetts.   ***   However, there is no record of what tornados hit back in the days before there were trailer parks.

10. On this date in history:  Jul 5, 1946 – Louis Reard's bikini swimsuit design debuts at the Paris Fashion Show.  ***  But his true genius became apparent with step 2, when he then invented Beach Volleyball.

No comments:

Post a Comment