1. In an NBC News survey, 48% of Americans said they don’t know enough about Donald Trump’s running mate, Mike Pence, to form an opinion on him. *** The other 52% also don’t know enough, but they have an opinion anyway.
2. A Zappos employee set a record with a customer service phone call that lasted 10 hours and 43 minutes. *** Or as they call that in the cable TV business, “wait time.”
3. In Greene County, Missouri, police arrested a man who was caught having sex with a cow, and he confessed that it was the second time. *** You know, that’s really a shock…so many guys just never follow up after the first date.
4. New Zealand jiu-jitsu fighter Jason Lee was kidnapped and robbed in Rio after he arrived for the summer Olympics. *** His three attackers were apprehended and taken before a judge, where they received a 5.6, 5.8 and 5.9.
5. After investigating a wide-ranging doping scandal ahead of the Rio Olympics, the IOC announced that it would not impose a blanket ban on Russia. *** They said the Russians could bring as many blankets as they like.
6. On this date in history: Jul 29, 1874 – Major Walter Wingfield patents a portable tennis court. *** If you think that’s impressive, you should see his golf course.
7. On this date in history: Jul 28, 1943 – President Franklin Roosevelt announces the end of coffee rationing. *** It was a nice try, but Eleanor still limited him to one cup of caffeine a day.
8. On this date in history: Jul 27, 1990 – Zsa Zsa Gabor begins a 3 day jail sentence for slapping a cop. *** She was shocked at the punishment, having known many men who would pay big money for that.
9. On this date in history: Jul 26, 1981 – New York Mayor Ed Koch is given the Heimlich maneuver in a Chinese restaurant. *** But he learned his lesson: Next time take out the fortune before eating the cookie.
10. On this date in history: Jul 25, 1969 – 70,000 people attend the Seattle Pop Festival. *** The top attractions were Faygo, Vernors and Dr. Pepper.