1. Geraldo Rivera says he has a video that would be very embarrassing to Donald Trump. *** And Mr. Trump has recordings that would be very embarrassing to Mr. Rivera—all the old episodes of the “Geraldo” show.
2. Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. *** In announcing the award, the Nobel committee said if it wasn’t for Colombia’s coffee beans people would be a lot more ornery in the morning.
3. Samsung is recalling all Galaxy Note 7 smartphones because they have a tendency to burst into flames. *** Unfortunately, that means a lot of Boy Scouts now have to find another way to start campfires.
4. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the 83 year old Supreme Court justice, says that kneeling during the national anthem is “dumb and disrespectful.” *** She also pointed out that at her age it’s awkward, painful and difficult to get back up.
5. Researchers at the University of Cambridge have found that some people tend to love cheese because of their DNA. *** Those people also like to scurry across the floor and occasionally squeak.
6. On this date in history: Oct 14, 1968 – Astronauts aboard Apollo 7 make the first live telecast from a U.S. spacecraft. *** People watching on Earth just couldn’t believe it—an entire TV broadcast without commercials.
7. On this date in history: Oct 13, 1995 – Pamela Anderson is rushed to the hospital with flu-like symptoms. *** The ambulance is met at the ER by 25 doctors with stethoscopes.
8. On this date in history: Oct 12, 1773 – America's first asylum opens for “Persons of insane and disordered minds” in Virginia. *** A few years later, a second location was established in nearby Washington D.C., but inmates there have to be voted in.
9. On this date in history: Oct 11, 1881 - David Houston patents roll film for cameras. *** Note to millennials: Ask Siri to explain “film.”
10. On this date in history: Oct 10, 1991 – Greyhound Bus ends bankruptcy. *** Cost-cutting measures include more efficient buses, dropping unprofitable routes and letting passengers take turns doing the driving.