1. An elderly Milwaukee woman called 9-1-1 when she thought she was having a heart attack, but she wasn’t, so EMS charged her $315. *** Fortunately, the story has a happy ending: When she saw the charges she really did have a heart attack and got a refund.
2. According to a study published in the journal “Nature,” Neanderthals and humans coexisted for 5,000 years, giving them plenty of opportunity to meet, mix and mate. *** Of course, to meet humans the Neanderthals had to be fairly creative in their Match.com profiles.
3. According to a study published in the medical journal “Brain,” older people sleep less because they lose brain neurons that control sleep patterns. *** To be specific, they lose neurons that control nighttime sleep. The neurons that control afternoon naps are still going strong.
4. Casey Kasem’s wife plans to have him buried in Oslo, Norway. *** He once said it would be a cold day in hell before he’d be buried next to that overbearing woman, and she figured Oslo was close enough.
5. Kid Rock is about to become a grandfather. *** And he’ll be changing his name to Kid Rocking Chair.
6. A Harvard researcher claims “there is no limit to the human lifespan” and reaching 150 years old is very possible. *** In fact, he believes that someday people might even live long enough to pay off their student loans.
7. In Altadena, California an 85 year-old man accidentally drove his car into a swimming pool when his footwear got entangled with the pedals. *** So, maybe it was a good thing he was wearing flippers.
8. As part of the Ice Bucket Challenge, Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander dumped ice water on girlfriend Kate Upton. *** Actually, that’s just the Alaskan version of the wet T-shirt contest.
9. A new Gallup poll shows that millennials are starting to show interest in spending money on housing, utilities and other necessities. *** In other words, they’re finally getting kicked out of their parents’ basement.
10. According to a University of Oregon study, early morning is when elderly people are best able to carry out complex tasks and avoid distractions. *** The rest of the day they are better at carrying out distractions and avoiding complex tasks.